Mold Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Nobody wants to hear the word mold. Since our youth we have been taught mold is bad and harmful to your health. If you have mold on your food you throw it away. If mold is in the air you pray for rain and head to the drug store for sinuses medicine. If mold is involved there is a problem, especially if it is in your house. But, luckily for everyone mold can be remediated. People forget there are mold spores all around us outside all the time. The purpose of a house is to protect you from the outside elements like keeping mold spores in nature. Some individuals are more sensitive to allergies than others. Good thing mold remediation is a common practice and can be done in a timely manner with some simple steps.
First and foremost, the moisture source of the mold growth must be eliminated or fixed before cleaning can begin.
Mold remediation can simplified into three steps:
- Control Environment-Set up containment, air filtration equipment and negative air flow to control environment and prevent further contamination.
- Remove and Clean- Remove and properly dispose of all porous materials contaminated with mold. Clean all nonporous materials contaminated with mold, HEPA vacuum, and apply anti-microbial agent.
- Dry Structure- Dry structure to reduce moisture levels below that which enables growth. Obtain final clearance testing from Indoor Environmental Professional (IEP).
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (903) 784-2700
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Paris for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Paris has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Mt. Pleasant